Statistics Botswana Ghanzi office was invited to an initiative called Taking Services “To the People” by the District Commissioners office from the 19th – 23rd August 2019. This is an initiative in which all Governments Departments, Parastatals and Non-Governmental Organizations take their offices to the remote areas for residents to access the services, which are unattainable in their areas. This exercise is done on quarterly basis and the delegation was led by the District Commissioner. Statistics Botswana office in Ghanzi was also invited to participate in the initiative through the head of the office Mr Kaone Rasedibo.
The areas which were visited were New Xade, Qabo, Bere, Kagcae and Grootlagte. Statistics Botswana Ghanzi office was given opportunities in all the villages to present on the following:
- The mandate of Statistics Botswana
- The purpose of opening Ghanzi Office
- The use of statistics and its importance
- The importance of providing quality and credible statistics by the villagers
- The effects of providing wrong data and refusing to cooperate with SB personnel.
- How to access Statistics Botswana and its products and services.
- Assurance on confidentiality regarding the collected Statistics
- The ongoing Cartography, CMTHS and the preparations regarding the 2021 Census.
The residents in all the areas were marveled by the presentations. Just like in many other areas in Botswana, residents had perception that SB’s mandate was only on Population and Housing Census but however they were educated on all functions, responsibilities and products of SB.
Stalls were set in various areas by all departments and organizations. SB stall was forever the most crowded as people were curious to know about the organization ‘services. The exercises was very insightful as it was a platform to educate people on SB mandate